Thursday, May 30, 2013

Happy 'Morial' Day!

Well, last weekend was Memorial Weekend here, and it was an awesome weekend! On Sunday, we went to Centerville to put flowers on Jason's Grandma and Grandpa Coleman's graves, and his Uncle Mike's grave. We met Jason's family at the cemetery.  While we were there, our good friends Kenny and Steph showed up there to bring flowers as well.  It was great to see them! We saw them last year at the Cemetery on Memorial Weekend too, maybe it will be an annual gathering? haha!

Side note: One thing that I think is so cool about Memorial Day, is how decorated the cemeteries get. They are turned into such a beautiful sight! I had never seen anything like it until I moved down here, and I look forward to Memorial Day every year now, for that reason especially!

On Monday morning, we went over to Jason's parents, and rode with them up to Cache Valley. .Jason's sister Lorie and her family met us up there. First we went to the Smithfield Cemetery. Jason's Mom has many ancestors buried there. From there we went to Subway in Smithfield, and we took our lunch to a beautiful park. I wish I knew the name of the park. It is so beautiful. The kids had a ton of fun playing at the park, there was a cool playground and swings, and also a big hill that the boys LOVED climbing on! After lunch, we went to the Logan cemetery, where Jason's Mom also has many relatives buried. It was kind of a bit of a scavenger hunt to find the graves, since none of us could totally remember exactly where they were from last year.  That made it fun! After the Logan cemetery, Lorie and her family had to leave. We then went with Jason's parents for ice cream, which is always fun!  After ice cream, on the way home we stopped at the Wellsville cemetery. Jason's Mom has so so many relatives buried there too.  Next year, Jason and I are going to make a scavenger hunt, and set up for everyone to divide up and see how many relatives graves we can find.

I used to think going to cemeteries would be boring unless it was someone you were really connected to.  But, with Jason being really into Family History, it makes it so much more interesting and fun. To connect one headstone to another...grandfather and grandmother to mother and father to child...it is so cool! It makes me want to get into my own family history more and learn about my ancestors.

Addy and her hero Cousin, Alyssa

Addy was on the swing at the park, and I wanted to get a picture of her on the swing, and right when I said "Addy, smile!" She jumped off the swing, and made a pose with Porter!

Addy with her cousins Logan and Sammy






Time for some girl talk!
 Beautiful Smithfield Cemetery
 Swinging at the park with Grandpa!
 Addy and cousin Porter!
 3 generations! I'm not very good at getting these kinds of pictures, so I figured what better day than Memorial Day to get a picture! Jason, his Mom, and Addy!
 Before we left for the day, I was attempting to get a nice picture of Addy--well, this is what I got!

 Closest thing to just a nice smile! Oh well, I wouldn't change her for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment