Monday, April 22, 2013

Midwife vs OBGYN?

I am not one for forcing my beliefs on other...whether it be religion, medicine, parenting or otherwise. There are some people who like to share their beliefs more vocally-to each their own.  Maybe it is the people pleaser in me, I don't want to upset people or make them feel like I am forcing my beliefs on them. So, in advance, if you feel offended after reading this post, please accept my apology, as this was not in any way intended to offend anyone.

For the first 4 months of my pregnancy with Adalyn, I saw a male OBGYN. After the 4 month mark, we had to change Dr's due to Health Insurance reasons...(it was completely our fault for not checking into "In-Network" Dr's...turned out the Dr we were seeing was not in our network). So, we began seeing a female OBGYN at a different office.  I personally prefer female Dr's, but to each their own.  With both of my OBGYN's I saw, there was one thing in common...I felt as though they were completely competent, however I did not feel like there was room for many questions or concerns on our part. Now, keep in mind, this is our first baby--I think our Mom's would ask more questions to us than we would of the Dr, we didn't know the questions to even ask! When it came to the end of the pregnancy, I did however have some frustrations. I had Gestational Diabetes, and she told me that she never lets a woman with that go past her due date, and in fact usually induces her a week prior to her due date-what did I hear? "I'm having this baby a week early!" So, when it came to the appointment a week before the due date, I was expecting to be induced. Not only did I not get induced that day, she told me to come in on our due date and then she would decide then if she wouldn't induce me or not. I was extremely frustrated, but what did I hear from her? "On your due date, you will be induced!"...So my due date came, and I was not dilating the way she was hoping, so she wanted me to wait again, 1 more week. If I don't go into labor by June 15, on that evening, go to the Labor and Delivery Ward, and they will get me started that evening.  So...June 15 comes, and nothing.  So, that evening Jason and I went to the hospital.  The nurses were great, I couldn't have asked for better. At 5am on June 16, they started the pitocin to induce me.  Fast forward 12 hours, I was in labor and pushing and baby was not progressing.  It was then that it was c-section time. Side note: In no way did I feel pressured for a c-section.  After pushing for a while and the positioning of the baby was not what is desired, I wanted a c-section.  Keep in mind, I am the kind of person who does not want people to see my cry, I have always been that way.  After 1 of the rounds of pushing, the Dr. left the room, and as if on cue, I broke down crying to Jason and said "I can't do this anymore, I want a c-section"...so when Dr. came back into the room, she started mentioning that it might be best to do a c-section, I said "Okay!". She kept talking as if to maybe try to convince me further, but I was all in! Let's get this over with! 

The c-section went without a hitch and Baby Adalyn was healthy as could be.  The Dr. was great with post delivery care.  She was sure to check on me very regularly throughout my stay at the hospital.

Again, to be clear, I feel very confident in the Dr.'s abilities, but I still felt like something was missing, at the time I didn't know what it was.

Fast forward 15 months.  I found out that my OBGYN was no longer doing obstetrics, just gynocology..."great", I thought..."now I have to find ANOTHER provider"...I started to read into the Nurse Practitioner/Midwife who was in the same office as my current Dr.  I thought, maybe I will try her.  We were trying to have a baby at the time, and in not very long of time, we found out we were pregnant.  We were thrilled.  We made our appointment with the Midwife, and as with any Midwife or OBGYN, they wait to see you until you are between 8-10 weeks, unless there are any concerns.  We had no concerns, until September 14, when the most horrific thing happened I could have imagined. I miscarried.  It was devastating. It was 2 days before my first appointment with the midwife. I thought to myself "Great, I haven't even met her yet, and the first time we meet it is going to be confirming that I miscarried." Not exactly what I had hoped for.  When we went to our appointment, I was so nervous.  But she could not have treated me any better.  I was embarrassed that I had miscarried, and I felt maybe it was my fault.  Not only did she explain the situation so clearly to me, but she was so caring.  For the first time, I felt like questions were an option, I felt like she was on my side, and wanted me to have a baby as much as I did. Jason and I left that office feeling so great about our visit.  She had me go through a series of tests to be sure that it wasn't an ectopic pregnancy, and to rule out any possible causes for the miscarriage. Every test came back perfect, and it put my mind at ease.  We decided after a couple of months that we would start trying again for a baby...I expected it to be as easy to get pregnant as it was with Adalyn(Who was actually a surprise) and the 2nd time. But, life has a way of throwing curveballs at us, doesn't it? It took over a year this time. When I went to our midwife for my yearly checkup, we discussed different options for trying to get pregnant. This was when we decided after some tests to start me on Clomed. I was about to start this medicine, when I had my gall bladder attack and it was time for surgery--whole other post in and of itself.  So we had to delay the medicine until I was completely healed from my surgery. So, in November I was able to start the Clomed...fast forward through Christmas, and on December 28, we found out where were expecting! YAY!

On January 25, we had our first appointment with our Midwife.  Yet again, we were so thrilled with our experience.  She provided us with so much information and education, that we felt so comfortable. Not only did she provide us with so much information, she also opened up the floor to us multiple times and asked us if we have any questions or concerns at all. This has not been a one time thing, every appointment so far, she has gone above and beyond our expectations, and made us feel so cared about, and so comfortable about everything with this pregnancy, and so comfortable about asking any questions. She has done an ultrasound at every appointment so far, and puts our minds at ease every time we see her.

Now-here is my point-it took me a lot longer to get to my point that I had intended...if you are still reading, CONGRATULATIONS!...I don't know if I would still be reading at this point.

Last night I was in a situation with someone who is fairly close to me who is also pregnant, our babies will be born within a couple of months of each other. She is going to an OBGYN, which is great, and I am going to a Midwife, which I believe it also great.  I was mentioned how our midwife told us that we can pick the Dr. we want to be on call in the event of me needing a c-section...and her response was "That's why I don't want to go to a midwife-I'm going to an OBGYN, they are more qualified." This was followed by a comment of a another person so said "Oh that is for sure!" These comments really threw me for a loop. My guess is, this person really has no idea about what a midwife is or does.  I didn't use to know, but I have been happy to find out. I am not sitting here telling you that you need to go to a midwife, but what I am saying is that they are more qualified than what people believe.  Can they do c-sections? No. But that is why there will be a Dr. of my choice On Call in case I need a c-section.  Midwives are very qualified, in fact, my personal belief is, they are JUST as qualified.  I didn't go into our first appointment with our midwife with this belief, I didn't know what I would think. I do however, believe they just as qualified, and are just as concerned for the safety of your baby, as an OBGYN is. They do take more time for education than a regular Dr...and that is a known fact.  They find that education is such a vital part of pregnancy...they treat pregnancy as a normal part of a woman's life, not as treating a condition.

I do believe that both OBGYN's and Midwives are great, I just also happen to believe that it is a matter of personal opinion. I just don't think anyone should form an opinion of either professional, until they have experienced both.

Alright guys, that is the end of my rant! Take it or leave it, but as I mentioned at the beginning, please know this post was not intended to offend anyone.

Have a great week! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment